To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Emergency? Dial 250 710 8207.

What do I do in a boil water advisory?  See: islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/drinking-water/what-do-during-boil-water-notice/boil-water-faqs.

How could I have used this much water?

  • You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect.
  • You may also have a broken water line. 
  • Please refer to the Customer Service, High Water Bill page of this website for tips on how to detect a leak. 
  • You may also call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

  • Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks.
  • Next, call the office and report low pressure for your area.

Why is my water discolored?

  • A repair could have been completed recently by you or one of your neighbours.  This could have allowed air to enter the line, causing the discolouration. 
  • Run the water until it is clear.  Call the office if it does not clear up.

What chemicals does Cowichan Bay Waterworks add to the water?

  • Only chemicals that are approved by the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality for treatment of drinking water.
  • Low levels of chlorine are added regularly

My water tastes, looks, and smells funny. Is it safe to drink?

  • Public water systems are required to maintain a minimum chlorine level of 0.2 mg/L (tested at the end of each line).
  • Disinfectant levels are tested daily to ensure safety.

Why does debris come out of the faucet when running hot water?

  • Most likely your water heater may need to be flushed.


  • Most manufacturers recommend hiring a professional to flush your water heater.
  • If you plan on doing this yourself, read the owner's manual to keep from being hurt and or damaging the water heater.

I paid my water bill, why do I have an outstanding balance?

  • some customers mistakenly pay the wrong "payee" (common examples are the CVRD or the Province of BC)
  • please check your bank statement if you are unsure whom you might have paid
  • be sure to ensure you are paying the correct 'Payee" - Cowichan Bay Waterworks District
  • nickname your accounts to be sure you use the correct one
  • contact whom you mistakenly paid to see if you can get a refund